Funny facts that are genuinely true!Last Updated: March 23, 2021
Many of these funny facts are so weird that you may not believe they are true, however they have been fact checked and sources are linked below to prove they are genuinely true!
Share these fun facts with your friends and family to make them laugh whilst teaching them new weird truths.
Our selection of the top five funny facts, these surprising facts are both interesting but also funny due to them seeming unrealistic.
- Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia is the fear of long words
- In the Arabic version of The Simpsons, Homer is called Omar Shamshoom.
SOURCE: Simpsons fandom
- In Queensland, Australia, it's illegal to own a pet rabbit. You can face fines up to $30,000.
- Every human being starts out as an anus: it's the first part of the body to form in the womb.
SOURCE: ranker.com article by Laura Allan
- The electric chair was invented by a dentist. Alfred P. Southwick was a dentist and inventor from New York and is credited with inventing the electric chair.
Funny Facts about Animals
Fun interesting facts related to animals. Some of these facts will amaze you but we have checked - they are really true!
- Two zebras died of hunger in a zoo in Palestine and were replaced with donkeys painted with black and white stripes.
The scientific name for the Western lowland gorilla is Gorilla gorilla gorilla.
- A group of owls is called a Parliament.
- There's a species of fish called "Slippery Dick".
- Cows have regional accents like humans.
- The Turritopsis dohrnii is an immortal type of jellyfish. It can revert to an earlier stage of their life cycle and therefore never dies.
Food Related Funny Facts
Our pick of silly yet funny facts about food, who knew that a regularly consumed product such as ketchup was once sold as... medicine?
- In ancient Greece, throwing an apple at someone was done to declare one's love.
- Hamburger University is a training facility at the McDonald's Corporation global headquarters
- Potatoes have more chromosomes than humans.
In 1834, ketchup was sold as a cure for indigestion by an Ohio physician named John Cook.
Funny Language Facts
- In Spanish, the word "esposas" means both "wives" and "handcuffs."
- The word "mortgage" comes from a French word that means "death pledge".
More Funny Facts
Finally, here is a further selection of more hilarious facts. These didn't fit into one specific category and we wanted to include them as they are still pretty funny.
- Average Americans Think They're Smarter Than the Average American
- There's was a "DUMB Starbucks" where every product has the word "dumb" in front of it.
- The parody national anthem of Kazakhstan from the movie "Borat" was accidentally downloaded and played in 2012 for a Kazakh gold medalist.
Everyone has a unique tongue print. That's right, just like unique finger prints, humans also possess a unique tongue print.
SOURCE: National Center for Biotechnology Information
- In the U.S., there's an official Rock Paper Scissors League.
- Nomophobia is the fear of being without your mobile phone or losing your signal.
- If you search for "askew" in Google, the content will tilt slightly to the right.
SOURCE: Click this link to see it on google!
Submit funny facts for this page
Submit your funny facts to improve this page - if you know of a funny fact which is proven true, share it to us via our submission form. We would appreciate if you could also provide source alongside the fact so we know your facts are true.